Bhutan’s Dagana Dzongkhag is an administrative district that comprises one Dungkhag and 14 Gewogs. The Dungkhag, Lhamoi Dzingkhag, and the Gewogs, Dorona, Drukjegang, Gesarling, Gozhi, Karmaling, Karna, Khebisa, Largyab, Lhamoi Dzingkha, Nichula, Tashiding, Tsangkha, Tsendagang, and Tseza, fall under the administration of Dagana Dzongkhag. The district is governed by the Dzongkhag Tshogdue (DT) and has 29 Gewog Tshogde (GT) members. The DT is the highest decision-making body in the Dzongkhag, while the GT holds the same authority as the Gewog level. In total, there are 98 members for the DT and GT combined, with 29 DT members and 7 GT members.
The name ‘Dagana’ originates from two words – Darkala and Darkarnang. Former refers to Jomo Darkamo, the guardian deity of the province. Latter means “The Realm of White Prayer Flags”. Zhabdrung Ngawang Namgyal unified western Bhutan in the mid-17th century. He sent Dronyer Druk Namgyel to Darkala in 1648 to bring the area under central rule and build a Dzong to defend it from invading armies. The Dzong was finished after two years in 1651. Zhabdrung officially named it Daga Trashiyangtse Dzong. The first Daga Poenlop, Tenpa Thinley, received his appointment and became the cabinet minister under the Desi system of government introduced by Zhabdrung.
Dagana Dzongkhag is in central Bhutan, 230 km from Thimphu. It covers 1722.6 sq km with a temperate/sub-tropical climate and elevation of 180-3800m. Hot and wet summers, dry and cold winters. Lhamoi Dzingkha’s southern foothills house the lowest human settlement in Dagana Dzongkhag. The headquarters of the Dzongkhag Administration is located in Tseza gewog, which falls under Dagana.