Bumthang Wangdue Choling Palace
“Wangdue Choling Palace”was built in 1857, on the site of the battle camp of the Trongsa Penlop Jigme Namgyel, father of the first King of Bhutan. Both the first and second king adopted Wangdicholing as their main summer residence. There are five giant water driven prayer wheels, to the northern side.
It was the first palace in Bhutan that was not designed as a fortress but as the principal residence of the first king of Bhutan, King Ugyen Wangchuck. The entire court used to move from Wangdichholing to Kuenga Rabten in winter. Later on, it was inherited by Ashi Choeki Wangchuck, an aunt of the fourth king. Now, it is used as a monastic school.